Sunday, March 14, 2010

Laid to Rest 3/13/10 To Cousin Curtis, with love.

Curtis, yesterday we said our final good byes to you. The standing room only crowd of the hundreds of people that you have touched was overwhelming. People from your childhood on up, some people who haven't seen you in years, was a true testiment to the type of legacy that you left behind; a legacy of pure honesty, loyalty and love. I know you had good laughs & great memeories as you scanned the crowd. Derek McKinney, Dan Smith and your brother,Tommy Scott, summed your loving, truthful, cheery, spirit up PERFECTLY with love and laughter; and your baby brother, Kevin, my heart, spoke with love from his heart about the big brother that he loves, misses, and respects. Your daughter, sweet Jayla. She wanted to make sure that EVERYONE knew that you were a GREAT father, and that she loved you and you loved her and that was all that mattered. I was so moved by the amount of love that was in that room. I saw Jenn and Mr. Worden. Yeah cuz, Mr. Worden! What did you think about that? I know it brought a smile to your face.


Now cuz, I have been talking to you everyday, so you know I have been having a problem with trying to figure out WHY: Why you had to be in such pain in the first place, and why you had to leave this earth. You were such a great soul with a great heart. "God giveth and god takes it away" , "At least he is no longer in pain", "He is in a better place", "God has a plan", and all the other things that we tell ourselves to try to make sense of death, just wasn't doing it for me. I was angry with the why's. And saddened over not having you here. WHY WOULD "GOD" TAKE YOU FROM US? I am not religious, as you know cuz, but I am spiritual. So none of that worked to relieve my pain. But then, I got it. Not at the church, not from words spoken, but from the most unlikely spot: the back of the T-shirts that were made for you. The authour is Unknown, but it reads as follows:

God's Garden

God looked around His garden
And He found an empty place
He then looked down upon the earth
And saw your precious face

He put His arms around you
And lifted you to rest;
God' s Garden must be beautiful
He always takes the best.

He knew that you were suffering
He knew you were in pain
He knew you' d never ever
Get well on earth again.

So He closed your weary eyelids
And whispered " Peace be thine "
Then He took you up to Heaven
With Hands so gentle and kind.

It broke our hearts to lose you
But you did not go alone,
For part of us went with you
The day God welcomed you home.

Cuz, I promise to carry on your legacy in the way that I live my life. Your daughter has a father figures who, while could NEVER replace you, will use you as an example in the way he raises HIS child. They already have such a bond. Kevin has grown into a full pledged man right before my eyes, and know I know what a role you played in that .

We will continue to celebrate you. We will carry you with us. We are all better people for knowing you. I love you.

R.I.P. Curtis "Cool C" Eugene Williams 3/23/72~3/01/10. gone but never forgotten.

Love, Cousin Karen

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely wonderful, thoughts beautifully expressed. Curtis will be missed by all he touched!

    ReplyDelete